General Recipes
MaddOryxite
 Posted: Mar 9 2018, 09:43 AM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Admin

“ If you need anything, pm me! I'm happy to help! ”

Share your recipes recipes here! What do you cook at home in Korea?
PM
^
Pirate Bae
 Posted: Mar 13 2018, 02:35 PM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Members

“ ”

For cooking Korean food, I always use Maangchi!

Her recipes are all very authentic and taste wonderful. I've made a dozen or so main dishes and lots of banchan!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8gFadPgK2r1ndqLI04Xvvw

많이 먹어!!
PM
^
Hodu
 Posted: Mar 13 2018, 02:53 PM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Members

“ BLOODY FRESH. ”

I used to use Maangchi's recipes back in Canada, too. Always impresses people that I was making kimchi before I even touched down in Korea!

After that I wanted to start exploring Korean recipes that a Korean might use. You can search for the name of the dish/ingredient in Korean and then add:
레시피 - recipe (better for dishes)
만들기 - making
요리 - cooking (better for ingredients)

Unlike a lot of material, recipes are usually not too hard on auto-translation, but an accompanying blog might be unreadable. But both make for good Korean practice!

It's also easier to find out what certain things are for. Wish I knew that before I bought 미더덕 when I first came here!
PM
^
emilysu
 Posted: Mar 13 2018, 04:00 PM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Mods

“ ladies don't start fights, they finish them ”

Nothing too special, but something I've always enjoyed making, when I can find the ingredients!

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts
2 tbsp feta cheese
1/2 cup spinach (or 3 stocks of asparagus if you can find it!)
Optional: 1/4 cup diced mushrooms
1 tsp vegetable oil

Also: toothpicks or some of that cooking string!

Step 1.
Chop all the vegetables up and prepare the cheese. If using asparagus, you can use the whole stocks.

Step 2.
Cook the spinach in some vegetable oil. It should shrink. As for asparagus, I would just steam it.

Step 3.
Slice the chicken breasts in half, but not all the way. Trim any fat from them and rinse in cold water if you need to.

Step 4.
Preheat your oven (if you have one) to about 170C (300F?).

Step 5.
Season your chicken with whatever seasoning you want. I usually use a mustard or a chicken rub, kind of Cajun style I guess. Stuff the chicken with the spinach/asparagus and the cheese. Then, close it up and secure with toothpicks or the string. (Honestly, you don't even need them if it's not too full).

Step 6.
Cook for 25-30 minutes (will depend on your oven, etc.) You can freeze the ones that you don't want to eat for a later time!

** If you don't have an oven, literally just put oil in a pan and get a good sear on both sides of the chicken. Then you can fill the pan with a bit of water, lower the heat and cover the pan with a lid and let it cook slowly like that. It should take about 20 minutes or so to cook fully!

Delicious when served with rice or potatoes and veggies.
PM
^
MaddOryxite
 Posted: Mar 21 2018, 09:26 PM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Admin

“ If you need anything, pm me! I'm happy to help! ”

Very easy Potato Soup recipe~
I don't measure anything on this one, so you'll have to adjust based on how much you want and your tastes.

Ingredients
- potatoes (I normally do 6-10 depending on size and how much I want leftover)
- zucchini
- onion
- milk (1 carton works for me)
- butter (I do 1/2-1 stick depending on how many potatoes I use)
- bacon or 삼겹살 (optional)
- salt, pepper, and spices to taste

Directions
1. Wash & peel the potatoes. Put them in a pot. Fill pot with water so the potatoes are just covered. Boil potatoes. Tip: if you want it to cook faster, cut the potatoes into halves or fourths first

2. Slice zucchini and dice onions. Once water is boiling, add them to the pot and stir to mix.

3. Periodically check on potatoes to see if they're soft. I use a chopstick and see if I can poke through one. Time varies a bit based on potato size and quantity. It usually takes about an hour for me. Once they are soft. Drain the water from the pot. Tip: put a lid over the pot and offset it so the top of the lid on one side is in line with the rim of the pot and not on top of it. Then use pot holders or a towel to grip the sides of the pot with your thumbs holding the lid in place. Then tilt the pot to drain it. This lets the water out without draining all of the diced onions.

4. Put the drained pot back on the stove. Turn the heat down very low. Add in half the milk. Mash the potatoes into chunks. Pour in the rest of the milk and add butter and spices. Stir and let simmer for a few minutes.

5. If you're using bacon or 삼겹살, fry it in a pan. Pour the grease from the meat into the soup for extra flavor. Stir to mix it in.

Finally, serve!

For those using the meat, I like to put a bit of it into my soup when I eat. I don't recommend putting it in any leftovers though, since the meat doesn't reheat well. For leftovers, I get some bacon "jerky" from the CU and add that in instead (idk why they call it jerky; it's basically thin microwaved bacon).

Enjoy https://images2.imgbox.com/a2/05/31n7TnBL_o.png
PM
^
CABEE
 Posted: Apr 18 2018, 01:20 PM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
middle
TITLE:
Members

“ Do these tacos taste funny to you? *Heat of the Moment" by Asia Plays* ”

Nothing super fancy at all, but I made this the other night and my guests raved over it. You could do it in a slow cooker or if you don't have one, a pot works too.

Ingredients
Corn
Tomatoes
Black Beans
Chicken (optional)
Spices to your liking

I cut up the tomatoes and put them to simmer for a bit in the pot with some Italian seasonings (rosemary, thyme) and some pepper flakes for about 10 minutes. Then add in the black beans and simmer the two for about 5 minutes. Then I add the corn and more spices (think taco seasonings like garlic, onion, paprika, cumin, oregano, and chili powder).

If you want, you can add chicken to the dish. I find chicken breast works great since it shreds easier.

You can serve it over or with rice, but my favorite thing to do is heat up a totrilla on the stove top and rip it up to use to shovel the stuff in your mouth.
PMEmail
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll