TEACHING GRADE 1 & 2 ELEMENTARY, TIPS AND ADVICE
jaydonv
 Posted: Sep 26 2017, 09:39 AM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Members

“ ”

Use this thread to share tips and advice for teaching Grade 1 and 2 elementary students - classroom management tips, games, topics for lessons, what works and what doesn't.

PM
^
Guest_marlinsgal
 Posted: Nov 29 2017, 02:49 PM
Guest_marlinsgal

SCHOOL LEVEL:
TITLE:

For gr 1s and 2s, I only see them for 1.5 periods once a week. So what I do is since I have Smart Phonics workbooks and textbook, I will 1st, play the letter song from Youtube. I use this channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BELlZKpi1Zs then I have them repeat the words from the phonics book. There are a few worksheets as well. I also have them come to the front and practice their spelling on the board.
^
Sikeredwolf
 Posted: Nov 29 2017, 06:56 PM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Members

“ ”

I teach after school 5 days a week.

They will hate reading days. No matter the book, no matter how cute your voices, they will hate it. Follow the reading with some fun activities.

They love being able to move. They go through a whole day of boring school. If you can get them out of their seats, its fantastic.

I like to make them move (Song or dance). Then its work time (vocab, work books. make them sit and focus). Then game time (Pass the ball, 4 corners, telepathy).

I made my curriculum based around 1 semester of ABCs. We practice writing, learn 5-6 vocab words over 2-3 days and practice those. I occasionally do review PPTS and games. Some games are only on ABCs. Movies are okay in short bursts, but long movies get boring/they can get antsy.

A lot of my games are in the non-tech section or modified ppt games others have used. You can ask your school if there is enough budget for workbooks/textbooks though.
PM
^
iamriel
 Posted: Feb 28 2018, 04:02 PM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Members

“ Hey, it's Mario-sem! ”

I taught two after school classes (consecutive) once a week. It was the same lesson & same day for class 1 & class 2. How well the class went depended on which class I was teaching, how the kids were feeling, and the games. Class 1 was an ideal class. They did the writing practice when I asked & played the games well. Class 2 was a different story. I gave up trying to finish a few lessons and just put on Gogo's Adventure a few times.

Lessons: Almost all my games involved them moving. They loved duck duck goose, red light green light, rock-paper-scissors battle, running tic-tac-toe, and easy to follow songs/dances. It may be different from other schools, but I had free range with my classes. I didn't actually aim to teach them anything other than the alphabet. I mostly took games I played as a kid & made them into English games. How my classes usually went was: Song, short story, writing practice, game(s). The games took up most of the class time.

Classroom Management: All I can say is good luck. Since they're so young, I didn't want to focus on punishments, instead I had a reward system. I made a giant poster with a tree on it. It was my "Chingu Tree". At the end of each lesson, I picked 2-3 students who were "today's best friend" & gave them a leaf cut out. Their name goes on the leaf & they put the leaf on the tree (or ground...or sky). They quite liked it. Every kid had at least 1 leaf cuz the first class, I had them cut out their own leaf & write their name. After that, I had pre-cut leaves prepared for them to write & glue themselves.

This will be my last contract, so I talked to my co-teacher about canceling that class. The kids are cute, and I honestly wouldn't mind teaching them for six more months, but I know it'll be hell for the next new English teacher. My friend told me about a law forbidding teaching English to kids below the 3rd grade (since they should focus on their 1st language acquisition). I didn't know the details, but I just let my co-teacher know & she looked it up. Turns out to be true. It might not be too late for this school year, so if you bring it up & you're really desperate not to teach https://images2.imgbox.com/a2/05/31n7TnBL_o.png' give it a try?
PMEmail
^
jaydonv
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 11:13 AM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Members

“ ”

Yeah - Grade 1 and 2 for public schools have been dropped now.

I'm one part regret and one part relief.

Loved my kids but they drained me.
PM
^
emilysu
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 11:17 AM

SCHOOL LEVEL:
elementary
TITLE:
Mods

“ ladies don't start fights, they finish them ”

QUOTE (jaydonv @ Mar 2 2018, 11:13 AM)
Yeah - Grade 1 and 2 for public schools have been dropped now.

I'm one part regret and one part relief.

Loved my kids but they drained me.

YOU AND ME BOTH FAM!!!
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll